and it makes me feel like child.
I was watching videos of Jason Mraz on hulu the other day. I don't know if I've ever told you before, but I love Jason Mraz, especially his early stuff from Java Joe's and his live recordings. He may be odd in the way he presents himself or things he says, but I find myself coming back, again and again, to his music. That must mean I'm supposed to listen, right?
Anyway, he was talking about touring in Europe and how it was a surprising process of finding people he was acquainted with or fans and asking them if they knew of venues where he could play, and how every stop was a different adventure. I found myself envying him, that lifestyle, whatever you want to call it. Sometimes I want my life to be a lot less traditional than a regular job and a stay-put lifestyle.
Jason Mraz reminds me of 2005 when I discovered his live recordings and listened to that and near nothing else. I traveled to New York for spring break and found more snow there than what I had left. I spent time with my brother, and the whole trip planted a deep love for the frozen gorges of Ithaca within me.
I miss times like those, my only worries about getting papers written and readings done, about passing classes and getting to the next year of college and new experiences.
I don't ever want to feel like my life is stagnant, you know? I often wonder how I'm going to fit all these things I want to do in my life, like traveling and family and a job... oh dear, a job. Most of all, I want to travel. A lot more.
I haven't written a lot lately because I just haven't known what to say, really. Not that things are particularly good or bad, but because life just is right now. It's just what it is--normal--not great, not bad. Sometimes I get tired of not being in school--I guess that's what being in school for most of my life does. Anyway, I've gone on a lot of walks lately and though it's 20-or-so degrees out, it feels good because the sun's out. I forget how important feeling sun on my skin is after winter.
To finish things up, I want to share my favorite things as of late:
1. Paul McCartney's live version of "Blackbird." I know you already know I love the Beatles, but I saw him singing it on TV one morning a couple weeks ago and it was just perfect. It was exactly what I needed. After this winter, it helps to have Paul take my sunken eyes and learn to see.
2. I've forgotten that it's not normal to have a black lab with blue eyes. I see brown-eyed dogs with black bodies and I become sort of puzzled. My little dog was sick yesterday, but I think he's much better today and I'm so glad. Though his shedding is out of control right now, I needed a little reminder that it's nice to have him around, fur and all.
3. My Life as Liz. Have you guys seen this show? I don't know why I love it so much, but it reminds me of high school. Also, I haven't told you, but hipsters kind of freak me out. So, I alternate between loving Liz and wondering if she'll get a good hair-washing in... it's a weird quirk, I know.
4. I'm really, really trying to find a way to visit the beach sooner rather than later. I don't even really know why I love it so much, I just do.
5. My hair's getting longer.
6. It's almost time to pull my cruiser out, and I'm secretly wondering if I can fit my dog in its basket. (Probably not.) (I don't think I'd be able to steer with him in there... he's a little... big.)
7. I changed my header. I like doing that sort of thing more than I should admit.
8. I have about a bajillion choices to make here soon, and I'm actually kind of excited about it.
And that is all for today. Good day.