Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This side of paradise

If you know me very well, you know that I'm a big reader.  For my birthday, for Christmas, for just about anything, I always want books.  I studied English in college, knowing full well that I probably wouldn't have many career opportunities after graduation; regardless, I studied English (creative writing, actually) because I love writing, reading, books, words, and ideas.

I go through periods where I read a lot, and then have dry spells.  Lately, I'm sort of in-between.  I'm reading This Side of Paradise right now, and it's taken me a while to get through it.  Last night, I found myself stuck in it, turning page after page, then turning on Pedro's lamp to see better, until I was too tired to read anymore.  It's kind of an interesting read--the beginning is really funny, actually.  There are parts that I haven't enjoyed much, where it seems like Fitzgerald wrote stuff just to write stuff and see it in print--though the 19-year-old me probably would have LOVED parts of that--but overall, it's been a pretty good read.


After this, I have a couple books lined up to read, but after that, I'm not sure what I'll read. Reading makes me miss school.

So, my question is this:  what are YOUR favorite books?  What have you read lately that's surprised you?

2 comments:

Vienna said...

I really love Fitzgerald. I love the name Amory Blaine too and I wanted to use it as a baby name but I think Amory is too girly, so maybe for a future girl. I know what you mean about his stuff being hard to get through. And it's always so sad, even when it is funny too. I think he's one of the best writers ever though, at the sentence level. Try his short stories; they are fantastic. "Bernice Bobs her Hair" is probably my favorite.

Sorry for the long comment. I don't often get to have English major chats anymore.

P.S. We miss you guys in the ward. We'll have to have you over when we finally clean our house. Or maybe since you've already seen it messy, you can just come over anyway.

Mikelle Jade said...

I love F Scott Fitzgerald. :)
I actually haven't read anything that great within the past year and it's a bit disappointing. I keep getting sucked into reading some dumb love triangle book because one of my friends will suggest it.

Some of my favorite books include Where the Hearts Is, A thousand splendid suns, and anything written about the Beatles :)

I heard that "Sex with Kings" is good. Sounds iffy I know, but I guess it's a historical book about kings and their mistresses. But don't take my word for it!