Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012! 2012!

It's a new year, and we have a lot of things going on for us.  Like approximately one baby in my lungs (it's an odd feeling).

I've decided that this year, my goal is to be more positive.  If you know me really well, you know I don't react all that well to change.  The funny thing is, my life will change more this year than probably any other, and change will probably become my middle name.

First things first:  moving out of our apartment, and into my in-laws house.  I am actually really relieved this is happening--sad, because I always feel sort of sad and nostalgic when we move.  So much good has come to us while living at our place, but it's time, and our circumstances will just be made so much easier with this change.  So move we will!

And then we will have two new members of our family in the spring.  I am really SO EXCITED.  Totally and completely terrified as well, but it's exciting to think this is really happening and I'm not dreaming. 

Yesterday, we had a doctor visit and I had to do the glucose drink for gestational diabetes test.  One thing I've learned so far while being pregnant is this:  nothing is as bad as most people make it out to be.  Exclamation point!  I was really dreading it.  To be honest, it wasn't bad, everything went well, and our girls are looking so good.  One bonus of having twins is that I've had an ultrasound at every appointment, and we've gotten to see them grow, which is nice--I'm a visual person (and a heavy worrier), so the confirmation that they're really in there is good for me.  Yesterday, baby A was kicking baby B while she was napping, so I'm hoping that means we'll have at least one mellow child.  It was a little funny to watch those legs go nuts, and all the while, the other one just didn't care too much. All along, I've thought baby B was the mover and shaker but I think it's the other way around; I guess I can't feel baby A as much because she's so low?  I'm not sure.

I love my doctor.  She makes me feel so calm.  I told her I thought I was having contractions/Braxton Hicks last Saturday night in the middle of the night, and she said she was glad (!!) because that means I can feel contractions, I'll know what they'll feel like, and it's normal to have them around this stage, as long as they don't get worse/more frequent, etc.  Which is great, because I was really freaking out on Saturday night... until I fell asleep again--whoops.  Ha!  (Right now, I'm 24 weeks, will be 25 on Thursday, hence why I was freaking out.  Didn't know you can get those well before the time your baby's supposed to come.)

I'm not sleeping as well at night, but I go to bed early enough that it's not too bad.  Honestly, I really thought being pregnant with twins was going to be a battlefield nightmare.  I am here to tell you that it hasn't been so, and I have been SO blessed to be able to work and continue on with life as (mostly) normal while my housband can keep going to school.  And guess WHAT!  This is his last year of undergraduate education, so who knows where we'll be come December.  It's exciting and scary.  I am just really happy with where we're at right now, because I know things could be so different for us.  Things have a strange and silly way of working themselves out, even if it's not what I really had in mind at all.

So this year, I really want to work on complaining less, working hard to be a better person, and have a positive outlook.  I really value people who tell me positive things about pregnancy/life/marriage/change/whatever, and I want to be that for other people.

But I do have to say that I am pretty disappointed that I burnt more than half the cupcakes I made last night.  Apparently I can't read directions anymore, and with that, let me say that my brain has officially become even less accommodating of common sense than it was before being pregnant, so there's that.  A fun adjustment!

Life is good!  2012 will not be the year of the beast!  In fact, I am going to go erase that chalkboard now! (You can read about 2011 and its self-fulfilling prophecy here.)  I don't know why I haven't already erased it! 2012!  The best year ever!

1 comment:

Tannie Datwyler said...

This post gave me a chuckle. :) You are SO right, sometimes we women make pregnancy out to be some terrible thing. I honestly, LOVE it. I've certainly had my hard times and my fair share of pain, but for the most part I really like it. And I'm totally with you - everyone complains so much about the stupid orange glucose drink, and although it is pretty nasty, it isn't the end of the world.

I also get braxton hicks A LOT. Starting right around 4 months and for the entire length of my pregnancy. It's something I've just grown accustomed to.

I like reading your experiences, because you are having twiners, which is something I'll most likely never experience!